The VISICORT project marked the end of the first year of its work with a plenary meeting at the Charité Campus Virchow Klinikum in Berlin on Friday, May 29. Following an overview of the management of the project, scientists involved in the project’s preclinical workpackages reported on the research carried out in the six months since the last plenary. The meeting also heard updates on recruitment for VISICORT’s clinical trial, and the development of the sample tracking system that will allow researchers to manage the movement of thousands of samples between clinical sites, storage facilities, and research laboratories. An afternoon breakout session, held in Charité’s Eye Clinic Laboratory, provided training in sampling protocols for the clinical researchers involved in the project. The meeting concluded with a discussion on dissemination and exploitation of the project’s results.
The winners of the schools science video competition, ReelLIFE SCIENCE were announced this week as part of Science Week 2014. The primary school category winners are Sooey National School, Co. Sligo, with Julien Torrades from Summerhill College, Sligo taking first place at secondary school level.
One video in the “Vision” category (which was sponsored by VISICORT) entitled “How We See the World”, made it to the final shortlist. The budding filmmakers from St. Andrew’s College in Blackrock, Co. Dublin will be treated to lunch and a tour of the Biostor facility in Wexford.
You can read all about the winners and view the videos here.
In der Oktoberausgabe des renomierten Augenspiegels wird über das im Rahmen des siebten Förderprogramms der Europäischen Gemeinschaft (FP7) bewilligte Forschungsprojekt VISICORT berichtet. Die immun-vermittelte Abstossung von allogenen (nicht-verwandten) Organen ist nach wie vor ein grosses Problem in der Transplantationsmedizin, welches auch durch die Verabreichung von immunsuppressiven Medikamenten nicht nachhaltig verhindert werden kann. Read more
New research from NUI Galway is using adult stem cells in the fight against cornea transplant rejection. The research has been published in the American Journal of Transplantation, and underpins a pan-European project which hopes to help the 100,000 people worldwide who undergo cornea transplant procedures each year.
VISICORT recently featured in the NUI Galway Magazine ‘Research Matters’ in an article titled ‘VISICORT – NUI Galway to Lead New 6 Million EU Project Tackling Corneal Transplanatation Failure.’
Welcome to the VISICORT Project. We are very excited to be launching the project in April 2014.
Please follow us on facebook or twitter for more updates.
- NUI Galway team publishes VISICORT-acknowledged studyJanuary 4, 2020 - 1:47 pm
- VISICORT consortium meets in AmsterdamDecember 6, 2019 - 11:52 am
- Prof Dr Uwe Pleyer, Charité presents VISICORT at IOIS 2019 meeting in TaiwanNovember 20, 2019 - 10:20 am
- New VISICORT-acknowledged publication from NUI GalwayNovember 19, 2019 - 10:27 am
- VISICORT coordinator Prof. Matt Griffin visits leading US medical centre Mayo Clinic to discuss EU-funded mesenchymal stromal cell projectsOctober 29, 2019 - 11:46 am
- VISICORT PIs chair sessions at EVER 2019 in NiceOctober 21, 2019 - 8:40 am
- VISICORT’s Dr Siobhan Gaughan, NUI Galway judges schools’ science initiativeOctober 2, 2019 - 9:07 am
- VISICORT clinical trial listed on Charité’s BeCAT websiteSeptember 30, 2019 - 8:24 am
- VISICORT publication in the Official Journal of the Transplantation SocietySeptember 6, 2019 - 11:34 am
- VISICORT PI Ritter, NUI Galway joins Therapeutics Delivery COST ActionAugust 26, 2019 - 7:06 am
- VISICORT PIs present at Societas Ophthalmologica EuropæaJune 24, 2019 - 8:20 am
- International Clinical Trials Day 2019, GalwayJune 10, 2019 - 10:38 am
- Interview: Lisa Imrie, U of Edinburgh uses the VISICORT BiobankMay 31, 2019 - 7:58 am
- New VISICORT publication from NUI Galway teamMay 21, 2019 - 11:11 am
- Prof Ritter presents at ARVO 2019, CanadaMay 13, 2019 - 9:06 am
- PI Conor Murphy presents VISICORT at Royal Victoria Eye and Ear HospitalMay 1, 2019 - 1:25 pm
- VISICORT presentation in Berlin aims to recruit potential patients to the clinical trialApril 29, 2019 - 8:22 am
- VISICORT PI Nico Degauque, INSERM presents at Swedish Registry for Corneal TransplantApril 26, 2019 - 9:52 am
- Two VISICORT PIs involved in new COST ActionApril 11, 2019 - 2:47 pm
- Partners at CCMI offer training workshopsMarch 26, 2019 - 12:27 pm
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme for research, technological development and demonstration under grant agreement no 602470. The material presented and views expressed here are the responsibility of the author(s) only. The EU Commission takes no responsibility for any use made of the information set out.